We are the UK’s leading blood cancer research charity.
Blood cancer is the fifth most common cancer in the UK. And while huge progress has been made in improving treatment since we started in 1960, it is still the third biggest cause of UK cancer deaths – taking more lives each year than breast or prostate cancer.
Everything we do is focussed on improving the lives of everyone affected by blood cancer.
Support & information: We provide everyone affected by blood cancer with information they can trust, in language they can understand.
Campaign: We are the voice of the 240,000 people in the UK with blood cancer at senior levels of Government, Parliament and the NHS.
BLOOD CANCER FACTS
- There are over 100 different types of blood cancer, including the more commonly known types such as leukaemia, lymphoma and myeloma
- Blood cancer is the 5th most common cancer type in the UK
- It is the most common type of cancer amongst children, teenagers and young people in the UK
- Every year there are around 40,000 people diagnosed with blood cancer, while there are over 240,000 people living with blood cancer in the UK
- Blood cancer is the 3rd biggest cancer killer in the UK
WHY FUNDRAISE FOR BLOODWISE
We don’t receive any government funding, so every penny we spend on life-changing research and patient services comes from our generous supporters.
Since we were formed in 1960, we’ve been at the forefront of many breakthroughs and key developments in blood cancer research and treatment.
- In 2016 we spent £13.1 million on blood cancer research
- In 1960 less than 1 in 10 children with the most common form of childhood leukaemia survived – today nearly 8 in 10 do.
- We are currently funding 400 leading researchers, across 40 UK research centres, who are carrying out more than 160 different blood cancer research projects.
- There are more than 4,700 patients currently on Bloodwise-funded clinical trials
FUNDRAISING TIPS AND ADVICE
In 2019 our unstoppable supporters helped to raise over £230,000 from the event, which is an incredible achievement, but we want 2020 can be even bigger and better to mark our 60th anniversary.
You can find out plenty of information and advice by checking out the fundraising section of our website, and feel free to give us a call on 0808 169 5155 to ask for any fundraising support, advice or materials; we’re here to help!